Electrical Engineering and Computer Science
School of Engineering
University of California Merced
email: frusu [at] ucmerced [dot] edu
phone: (209) 228-4286
mailing address: SE2-310, 5200 N Lake Road, Merced, CA 95343,
Florin is originally from the city of Cluj-Napoca in the historical region of Transylvania, Romania. He received a B.Eng. degree in 2004 from the Technical University of Cluj-Napoca, Faculty of Automation and Computer Science under the supervision of Sergiu Nedevschi.
In 2005, he joined the graduate program in Computer Science at the University of Florida where he received a M.Sc. degree in 2008 and a Ph.D. degree in 2009. At UF, Florin worked on large scale data management problems under the supervision of Alin Dobra. He also participated in the design and implementation of multiple database systems under the coordination of Chris Jermaine.
Florin joined UC Merced in 2010 where he started the research program in data management and the educational curriculum in databases. Florin is the recipient of a DOE Early Career Award in 2014 and a Hellman Faculty Fellowship in 2013.
Florin's research interests lie in the area of databases and large scale data management in general, with a particular focus on designing and building infrastructure for Big Data analytics. Specific topics include approximate query processing, parallel online aggregation, and scalable machine learning. Scientific data processing as another facet of Big Data receives considerable attention in Florin's research through topics such as multi-dimensional array data management and in-situ data processing. Florin is interested both in theoretical aspects as well as system design issues. His research has been funded by UC Merced, US Department of Energy (DOE), California Department of Education, Hellman Foundation, and LogicBlox.
- CSE 100: Algorithm Design and Analysis
- CSE 111: Database Systems
- CSE 165/ENGR 140: Introduction to Object-Oriented Programming
- CSE 177/EECS 277: Database Systems Implementation
- EECS 284: Big Data Systems & Analytics
- EECS 284: Large Scale Data Management
- Yesdaulet Izenov, August 2018 -- Present
- Asoke Datta, August 2018 -- Present
- Yujing Ma, August 2016 -- Present (intern: LBNL 2017)
- Weijie Zhao, August 2014 -- June 2018 (dissertation: Advanced Database Techniques for Scientific Data Processing; intern: LBNL 2017, 2016, 2015; first employment: postdoc researcher @ Baidu Research USA)
- Chengjie Qin, August 2011 -- December 2016 (dissertation: GLADE-ML: A Database For Big Data Analytics; intern: GraphSQL 2015; first employment: GraphSQL)
- Yu Cheng, August 2011 -- August 2016 (dissertation: In-situ Data Processing Over Raw Files; intern: Google 2015; first employment: Turn)
- Alexander Crosdale, June 2016 -- May 2017 (UROC Undergraduate Research Scholar; work: implementation of TPC-H in MongoDB)
- Jonathan Rodriguez, October 2015 -- May 2017 (work: parallel data partitioning in GLADE)
- Gobind Ball, August 2015 -- December 2015 (SoE Outstanding Undergraduate Student Award; work: code generation for JSON parsing; first employment: Zappos)
- Nhan Dao, January 2014 -- May 2014 (work: data loading in SciDB; first employment: eGain Corporation)
- Zachary Michaels, February 2013 -- May 2013 (work: run GLADE on NERSC supercomputers; first employment: Applied Medical)
- Roseller Velicaria, May 2012 -- August 2012 (work: in-memory hash join algorithms; first employment: JD Power and Associates)
- Jorge Ramirez Perez, May 2011 -- May 2012 (work: efficient data loading in GLADE; first employment: Boeing)
- Martin Torres, August 2015 -- May 2018 (Ph.D. student)
- Abhineet Dubey, August 2015 -- May 2018 (M.S. student)
UC Merced |
Last updated: Sunday, August 26, 2018