Electrical Engineering and Computer Science
School of Engineering
University of California, Merced
email: frusu [at] ucmerced [dot] edu
phone: (209) 228-4286
office: SE2 210
mailing address: SE2 310, 5200 N Lake Road, Merced, CA 95343,
- Florin is guest editor for a special issue on "In-Database Analytics" in the Distributed and Parallel Databases journal. Consider submitting your work to this special issue before February 1, 2017.
- 2016/10: We present a poster on scaling Hogwild to big models at BayLearn 2016.
- 2016/10: Florin is member of the DASFAA 2017 PC. Consider submitting your work to this conference.
- 2016/09: Florin and Ph.D. student Martin Torres introduce the basics of data acquisition and visualization with Arduino and ThingSpeak channels to K3-8 teachers participating in the Team-E Science project.
- 2016/08: Several students join our research group: Yujing Ma is a PhD student coming from East China Normal University in Shanghai; Ye Zhu is an MS student with a PhD degree in Biotechnology from UC Merced; Sahil Hingorani is a BS student.
- 2016/08: Florin is member of the ICDE 2017 PC. Consider submitting your work to this conference.
- 2016/08: In Fall 2016, Florin teaches CSE 111 Database Systems with a record enrollment of 90 students. He also organizes the EECS Seminar.
- 2016/08: Florin attends Data Day at NERSC in Berkeley and presents a poster on GLADE.
- 2016/08: Yu Cheng successfully defended his PhD dissertation In-situ Data Processing Over Raw Files. Congratulations and good luck with your new job at Turn! Yu is the first PhD graduate from my research group.
- 2016/08: Abdur Rafay successfully defended his MS thesis Multi-Query Optimization in GLADE. Congratulations and good luck with your new job at FICO where you have the chance to directly apply what you worked on in your thesis!
Florin is originally from the city of Cluj-Napoca in the historical region of Transylvania, Romania. He received a B.Eng. degree in 2004 from the Technical University of Cluj-Napoca, Faculty of Automation and Computer Science under the supervision of Sergiu Nedevschi.
In 2005, he joined the graduate program in Computer Science at the University of Florida where he received a M.Sc. degree in 2008 and a Ph.D. degree in 2009. At UF, Florin worked on large scale data management problems under the supervision of Alin Dobra. He also participated in the design and implementation of multiple database systems under the coordination of Chris Jermaine.
Florin joined UC Merced as an assistant professor in 2010. He started the research program in large scale data management and Big Data infrastructure. He also initiated the educational curriculum in databases. Florin is the recipient of a DOE Early Career Award in 2014 and a Hellman Faculty Fellowship in 2013.
Florin's research interests lie in the area of databases and large scale data management in general, with a particular focus on designing and building infrastructure for Big Data analytics. Specific topics include approximate query processing, parallel online aggregation, and scalable machine learning. Scientific data processing as another facet of Big Data receives considerable attention in Florin's research through topics such as multi-dimensional array data management and in-situ data processing. Florin is interested both in theoretical aspects as well as system design issues.
- Yujing Ma, Ph.D., August 2016 -- Present
- Ye Zhu, M.Sc., August 2016 -- Present
- Sahil Hingorani, B.S., August 2016 -- Present
- Jaspal Atwal, M.Sc., June 2016 -- Present
- Alexander Crosdale, B.S., June 2016 -- Present (UROC Undergraduate Research Scholar)
- Jonathan Rodriguez, B.S., October 2015 -- Present
- Abhineet Dubey, M.Sc., August 2015 -- Present
- Zhiyi Huang, M.Sc., August 2015 -- June 2016; Ph.D., July 2016 -- Present
- Martin Torres, Ph.D., August 2015 -- Present
- Xin Zhang, M.Sc., August 2015 -- Present (intern: LBNL 2016)
- Weijie Zhao, Ph.D., August 2014 -- Present (intern: LBNL 2016, 2015)
- Chengjie Qin, Ph.D., August 2011 -- Present (intern: GraphSQL 2015)
- Yu Cheng, Ph.D., August 2011 -- August 2016 (dissertation: In-situ Data Processing Over Raw Files; intern: Google 2015; first employment: Turn)
- Abdur Rafay, M.Sc., August 2015 -- August 2016 (thesis: Multi-Query Optimization in GLADE; first employment: FICO)
- Gobind Ball, B.S., August 2015 -- December 2015 (SoE Outstanding Undergraduate Student Award; first employment: Zappos)
- Zixuan Zhuang, M.Sc., August 2013 -- August 2015 (thesis: An Experimental Study of Distributed Quantile Estimation; intern: GraphSQL; first employment: GraphSQL)
- Nhan Dao, B.S., January 2014 -- May 2014 (first employment: eGain Corporation)
- Zachary Michaels, B.S., February 2013 -- May 2013 (first employment: Applied Medical)
- Roseller Velicaria, B.S., May 2012 -- August 2012 (first employment: JD Power and Associates)
- Jorge Ramirez Perez, B.S., May 2011 -- May 2012 (first employment: Boeing)
- CSE 111: Database Systems
- CSE 165/ENGR 140: Introduction to Object-Oriented Programming
- CSE 177/EECS 277: Database Systems Implementation
- EECS 284: Large Scale Data Management
- EECS 284: Big Data Systems & Analytics
UC Merced |
Last updated: Sunday, November 13, 2016