Electrical Engineering and Computer Science
School of Engineering
University of California Merced
email: frusu [at] ucmerced [dot] edu
phone: (209) 228-4286
mailing address: SE2-310, 5200 N Lake Road, Merced, CA 95343,
- Ph.D. positions available starting in Fall 2018. More details are available here.
- Florin is guest editor for a special issue on "Scientific and Statistical Database Management" in the Distributed and Parallel Databases journal. Consider submitting your work to this special issue before January 15, 2018.
- 2017/12: Florin gives a presentation on stochastic gradient descent for highly parallel architectures at IBM Almaden Research in San Jose. Thanks to Niketan Pansare for hosting.
- 2017/12: Anna Ho, our collaborator from Caltech, posts an arXiv manuscript on iPTF showing how array databases are used for searching fast optical transients.
- 2017/12: Xin Zhang successfully defends his M.Sc. thesis on code generation techniques for raw data processing. Congratulations!
- 2017/11: Florin serves on the program committee of DEEM 2018, DASFAA 2018, and SSDBM 2018. Consider submitting your best work to these conferences.
- 2017/11: We participate in the first edition of the Approximate Computing for Affordable and Interactive Analytics (ACAIA) workshop in San Jose. A very good venue to promote approximate query processing.
- 2017/10: Florin gives a presentation on online aggregation over raw data at Amazon AWS in Palo Alto. Thanks to Ippokratis Pandis for hosting.
- 2017/10: Our work on array databases played a pivotal role in the first-ever observation of a neutron star merger which produces gravitational waves and turns out to be the origin of heavy elements, including gold. This lead to a Science magazine article (complete manuscript on arXiv) featured in the media at UC Merced, DOE ASCR, ACM TechNews, Slashdot, FiveThirtyEight, Quanta Magazine, etc.
- 2017/09: Together with Dan Olteanu from Oxford, we edit a special issue on In-Database Analytics in the Distributed and Parallel Databases journal. Here is the preface.
- 2017/09: The slides from our VLDB paper on scalable Hogwild.
Florin is originally from the city of Cluj-Napoca in the historical region of Transylvania, Romania. He received a B.Eng. degree in 2004 from the Technical University of Cluj-Napoca, Faculty of Automation and Computer Science under the supervision of Sergiu Nedevschi.
In 2005, he joined the graduate program in Computer Science at the University of Florida where he received a M.Sc. degree in 2008 and a Ph.D. degree in 2009. At UF, Florin worked on large scale data management problems under the supervision of Alin Dobra. He also participated in the design and implementation of multiple database systems under the coordination of Chris Jermaine.
Florin joined UC Merced in 2010 where he started the research program in data management and the educational curriculum in databases. Florin is the recipient of a DOE Early Career Award in 2014 and a Hellman Faculty Fellowship in 2013.
Florin's research interests lie in the area of databases and large scale data management in general, with a particular focus on designing and building infrastructure for Big Data analytics. Specific topics include approximate query processing, parallel online aggregation, and scalable machine learning. Scientific data processing as another facet of Big Data receives considerable attention in Florin's research through topics such as multi-dimensional array data management and in-situ data processing. Florin is interested both in theoretical aspects as well as system design issues. His research has been funded by UC Merced, US Department of Energy (DOE), California Department of Education, Hellman Foundation, and LogicBlox.
- CSE 100: Algorithm Design and Analysis
- CSE 111: Database Systems
- CSE 165/ENGR 140: Introduction to Object-Oriented Programming
- CSE 177/EECS 277: Database Systems Implementation
- EECS 284: Big Data Systems & Analytics
- EECS 284: Large Scale Data Management
- Yujing Ma, August 2016 -- Present (intern: LBNL 2017)
- Zhiyi Huang, August 2015 -- Present
- Martin Torres, August 2015 -- Present
- Weijie Zhao, August 2014 -- Present (intern: LBNL 2017, 2016, 2015)
- Chengjie Qin, August 2011 -- December 2016 (dissertation: GLADE-ML: A Database For Big Data Analytics; intern: GraphSQL 2015; first employment: GraphSQL)
- Yu Cheng, August 2011 -- August 2016 (dissertation: In-situ Data Processing Over Raw Files; intern: Google 2015; first employment: Turn)
- Alexander Crosdale, June 2016 -- May 2017 (UROC Undergraduate Research Scholar; work: implementation of TPC-H in MongoDB)
- Jonathan Rodriguez, October 2015 -- May 2017 (work: parallel data partitioning in GLADE)
- Gobind Ball, August 2015 -- December 2015 (SoE Outstanding Undergraduate Student Award; work: code generation for JSON parsing; first employment: Zappos)
- Nhan Dao, January 2014 -- May 2014 (work: data loading in SciDB; first employment: eGain Corporation)
- Zachary Michaels, February 2013 -- May 2013 (work: run GLADE on NERSC supercomputers; first employment: Applied Medical)
- Roseller Velicaria, May 2012 -- August 2012 (work: in-memory hash join algorithms; first employment: JD Power and Associates)
- Jorge Ramirez Perez, May 2011 -- May 2012 (work: efficient data loading in GLADE; first employment: Boeing)
UC Merced |
Last updated: Tuesday, December 19, 2017