1. D. Toghani, S. Zeng, E. Mahammadov, E. I. Crosse, N. Seyedhassantehrani, C. Burns, D. Gravano, S. Radtke, H. Kiem, S. Rodriguez, N. Carlesso, A. Pradeep, N. K. Wilson, S. J. Kinston, B. Gottgens, C. Nerlov, E. Pietras, M. Mesnieres, C. Maes, A. Kumanogoh, T. Worzfeld, P. Kharchenko, A. Scialdone, J. A. Spencer, L. Silberstein, “Myeloid-biased HSC require Semaphorin 4A from the bone marrow niche for self-renewal under stress and life-long persistence,” bioRxiv (Jan. 2022) doi.org/10.1101/2022.01.12.476097.
31. B. Chicana, N. Abbasizadeh, C. Burns, H. Taglinao, J. A. Spencer, and J. O. Manilay, “Deletion of Vhl in Dmp1-expressing cells causes microenvironmental impairment of B cell lymphopoiesis,” Front. Immunol., accepted 11 January 2022.
* J. A. Spencer and J. O. Manilay are joint senior authors
30. J. W. Wu, Y. Jung, S. A. Yeh, Y. Seo, J. M. Runnels, C. S. Burns, T. Mizoguchi, I. Keisuke, J. A. Spencer, and C. P. Lin, “Intravital fluorescence microscopy with negative contrast,” PLoS ONE 16: e0255204 (2021).
* J. A. Spencer and C. P. Lin are joint senior authors
29. T. Oki, F. Mercier, H. Kato, Y. Jung, T. O. McDonald, J. A. Spencer, M. C. Mazzola, N. van Gastel, C. P. Lin, F. Michor, T. Kitamrua, and D. T. Scadden, “Imaging dynamic mTORC1 pathway activity in vivo reveals marked shifts that support time-specific inhibitor therapy in AML,” Nat. Commun. 12, 245 (2021).
28. C. Christodoulou*, J. A. Spencer*, S. C. A. Yeh*, R. Turcotte, K. D. Kokkaliaris, R. Panero, A. Ramos, G. Guo, N. Seyedhassantehrani, T. V. Esipova, S. A. Vinogradov, S. Rudzinskas, Y. Zhang, A. S. Perkins, S. H. Orkin, R. A. Calogero, T. Schroeder, C. P. Lin, and F. D. Camargo, “Live-animal imaging of native haematopoietic stem and progenitor cells”, Nature 578, 278-283 (2020).
* J. A. Spencer, C. Christodoulou, and S. C. A. Yeh contributed equally
27. J. Lee, B. Dykstra, J. A. Spencer, L. L. Kenney, D. L. Greiner, L. D. Shultz, M. A. Brehm, C. P. Lin, R. Sackstein, and D. J. Rossi, “mRNA-mediated glycoengineering ameliorates deficient homing of human stem cell-derived hematopoietic progenitors,” J. Clin. Invest. 127, 2433-2437 (2017).
26. L. Silberstein, K. A. Goncalves, P. V. Kharchenko, R. Turcotte, Y. Kfoury, F. Mercier, N. Baryawno, N. Severe, J. Bachand, J. A. Spencer, A. Papazian, D. Lee, B. R. Chitteti, E. F. Srour, J. Hoggatt, T. Tate, C. Lo Celso, N. Ono, S. Nutt, J. Heino, K. Sipilä, T. Shioda, M. Osawa, C. P. Lin, G. Hu, and D. T. Scadden, “Proximity-based differential single-cell analysis of the niche to identify stem/progenitor cell regulators,” Cell Stem Cell 19, 530-543 (2016).
25. T. Itkin, S. G. Cohen, J. A. Spencer, A. Schajnovitz, S. K. Ramasamy, A. P. Kusumbe, G. Ledergor, Y. Jung, I. Milo, M. G. Poulos, A. Kalinkovich, A. Ludin, O. Kollet, G. Shakhar, J. M. Butler, S. Rafii, R. H. Adams, D. T. Scadden, C. P. Lin, and T. Lapidot, “Distinct bone marrow blood vessels differentially regulate hematopoiesis,” Nature 532, 323–328 (2016).
24. Y. Peng, O. Tsigkou, J. A. Spencer, C. P. Lin, B. E. Grottkau, and C. Neville, “Analyzing structure and function of vascularization in engineered bone tissue by video-rate intravital microscopy and 3D image processing,” Tissue Eng. Part C Methods 21, 1025-1031 (2015).
23. N. Aceto, A. Bardia, D. T. Miyamoto, M. C. Donaldson, B. S. Wittner, J. A. Spencer, M. Yu, A. Pely, A. Engstrom, H. Zhu, B. W. Brannigan, R. Kapur, S. L. Stott, T. Shioda, S. Ramaswamy, D. T. Ting, C. P. Lin, M. Toner, D. A. Haber, and S. Maheswaran, “Circulating tumor cell clusters are oligoclonal precursors of breast cancer metastasis,” Cell 158, 1110-1122 (2014).
22. E. Roussakis, J. A. Spencer, C. P. Lin, and S. A. Vinogradov, “Two-photon antenna-core oxygen probe with enhanced performance,” Anal. Chem. 86, 5937-5945 (2014).
21. D. Park, J. A. Spencer, C. P. Lin, and D. T. Scadden, “Sequential in vivo imaging of osteogenic stem/progenitor cells during fracture repair,” J. Vis. Exp. 87, e51289 (2014).
20. J. A. Spencer, F. Ferraro, E. Roussakis, A. Klein, J. Wu, J. M. Runnels, W. Zaher, L. J. Mortensen, C. Alt, R. Turcottë, R. Yusuf, S. A. Vinogradov, D. T. Scadden, and C. P. Lin, “Direct measurement of local oxygen concentration in the bone marrow of live animals,” Nature 508, 269-273 (2014).
19. A. L. Carlson, J. Fujisaki, J. Wu, J. M. Runnels, R. Turcotte, J. A. Spencer, C. Lo Celso, D. T. Scadden, T. B. Strom, and C. P. Lin, “Tracking single cells in live animals using a photoconvertible near-infrared cell membrane label,” PLoS ONE 8, e69257 (2013).
18. D. Park, J. A. Spencer, B. I. Koh, T. Kobayashi, J. Fujisaki, T. L. Clemens, C. P. Lin, H. M. Kronenberg, and D. T. Scadden, “Endogenous bone marrow MSCs are dynamic, fate-restricted participants in bone maintenance and regeneration,” Cell Stem Cell 10, 259-272 (2012).
17. D. Sarkar, J. A. Spencer, J. A. Phillips, W. Zhao, S. Schafer, D. P. Spelke, L. J. Mortensen, J. P. Ruiz, P. K. Vemula, R. Sridharan, S. Kumar, R. Karnik, C. P. Lin, and J. M. Karp, “Engineered cell homing,” Blood 118, e184-191 (2011).
16. F. Ferraro, S. Lymperi, S. Mendez-Ferrer, B. Saez, J. A. Spencer, B. Y. Yeap, E. Masselli, G. Graiani, L. Prezioso, E. L. Rizzini, M. Mangoni, V. Rizzoli, S. M. Sykes, C. P. Lin, P. S. Frenette, F. Quaini, and D. T. Scadden, “Diabetes impairs hematopoietic stem cell mobilization by altering niche function,” Sci. Transl. Med. 3, 104ra101 (2011).
15. C. M. Pitsillides, J. M. Runnels, J. A. Spencer, L. Zhi, M. X. Wu, and C. P. Lin, “Cell labeling approaches for fluorescence-based in vivo flow cytometry,” Cytometry A. 79, 758-765 (2011).
14. N. Ashida, S. Senbanerjee, S. Kodama, S. Y. Foo, M. Coggins, J. A. Spencer, P. Zamiri, D. Shen, L. Li, T. Sciuto, A. Dvorak, R. E. Gerszten, C. P. Lin, M. Karin, and A. Rosenzweig, “IKKbeta regulates essential functions of the vascular endothelium through kinase-dependent and -independent pathways,” Nat. Commun. 2, 318 (2011).
13. J. M. Runnels, A. L. Carlson, C. Pitsillides, B. Thompson, J. Wu, J. A. Spencer, J. M. Kohler, A. Azab, A. S. Moreau, S. J. Rodig, A. L. Kung, K. C. Anderson, I. M. Ghobrial, and C. P. Lin, “Optical techniques for tracking multiple myeloma engraftment, growth, and response to therapy,” J. Biomed. Opt. 16, 011006 (2011).
12. Z. Fan**, J. A. Spencer**, Y. Lu, C. M. Pitsillides, G. Singh, P. Kim, S. H. Yun, V. Toxavidis, T. B. Strom, C. P. Lin, and M. Koulmanda, “In vivo tracking of ‘color-coded’ effector, natural and induced regulatory T cells in the allograft response,” Nat. Med. 16, 718-722 (2010).
** J. A. Spencer and Z. Fan contributed equally
11. O. Tsigkou, I. Pomerantseva, J. A. Spencer, P. A. Redondo, A. R. Hart, E. O’Doherty, Y. Lin, C. C. Friedrich, L. Daheron, C. P. Lin, C. A. Sundback, J. P. Vacanti, and C. Neville, “Engineered vascularized bone grafts,” Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U. S. A. 107, 3311-3316 (2010).
10. B. M. Horner, K. K. Ferguson, M. A. Randolph, J. A. Spencer, A. L. Carlson, E. L. Hirsh, C. P. Lin, and P. E. Butler, “In vivo observations of cell trafficking in allotransplanted vascularized skin flaps and conventional skin grafts,” J. Plast. Reconstr. Aesthet. Surg. 63, 711-719 (2010).
9. R. Sackstein, J. S. Merzaban, D. W. Cain, N. M. Dagia, J. A. Spencer, C. P. Lin, and R. Wohlgemuth, “Ex vivo glycan engineering of CD44 programs human multipotent mesenchymal stromal cell trafficking to bone,” Nat. Med. 14, 181-187 (2008).
8. I. Veilleux, J. A. Spencer, D. P. Biss, D. Côté, and C. P. Lin, “In vivo cell tracking with video rate multimodality laser scanning microscopy,” IEEE JSTQE 14, 10-18 (2008).
7. X. Xu, J. Mannik, E. Kudryavtseva, K. K. Lin, L. A. Flanagan, J. Spencer, A. Soto, N. Wang, Z. Lu, Z. Yu, E. S. Monuki, and B. Andersen, “Co-factors of LIM domains (Clims/Ldb/Nli) regulate corneal homeostasis and maintenance of hair follicle stem cells,” Dev. Biol. 312, 484-500 (2007).
6. X. Leleu, X. Jia, J. Runnels, H. T. Ngo, A. S. Moreau, M. Farag, J. A. Spencer, C. M. Pitsillides, E. Hatjiharissi, A. Roccaro, G. O’Sullivan, D. W. McMillin, D. Moreno, T. Kiziltepe, R. Carrasco, S. P. Treon, T. Hideshima, K. C. Anderson, C. P. Lin, and I. M. Ghobrial, “The Akt pathway regulates survival and homing in Waldenstrom macroglobulinemia,” Blood 110, 4417-4426 (2007).
5. Y. Alsayed, H. Ngo, J. Runnels, X. Leleu, U. K. Singha, C. M. Pitsillides, J. A. Spencer, T. Kimlinger, J. M. Ghobrial, X. Jia, G. Lu, M. Timm, A. Kumar, D. Cote, I. Veilleux, K. E. Hedin, G. D. Roodman, T. E. Witzig, A. L. Kung, T. Hideshima, K. C. Anderson, C. P. Lin, and I. M. Ghobrial, “Mechanisms of regulation of CXCR4/SDF-1 (CXCL12)-dependent migration and homing in multiple myeloma,” Blood 109, 2708-2717 (2007).
4. N. M. Dagia, S. Z. Gadhoum, C. A. Knoblauch, J. A. Spencer, P. Zamiri, C. P. Lin, and R. Sackstein, “G-CSF induces E-selectin ligand expression on human myeloid cells,” Nat. Med. 12, 1185-1190 (2006).
3. Z. Yu, K. K. Lin, A. Bhandari, J. A. Spencer, X. Xu, N. Wang, Z. Lu, G. N. Gill, D. R. Roop, P. Wertz, and B. Andersen, “The Grainyhead-like epithelial transactivator Get-1/Grhl3 regulates epidermal terminal differentiation and interacts functionally with LMO4,” Dev. Biol. 299, 122-136 (2006).
2. J. M. Runnels, P. Zamiri, J. A. Spencer, I. Veilleux, X. Wei, A. Bogdanov, and C. P. Lin, “Imaging molecular expression on vascular endothelial cells by in vivo immunofluorescence microscopy,” Mol. Imaging 5, 31-40 (2006).
1. J. G. Lyubovitsky, J. A. Spencer, T. B. Krasieva, B. Andersen, and B. J. Tromberg, “Imaging corneal pathology in a transgenic mouse model using nonlinear microscopy,” J. Biomed. Opt. 11, 014013 (2006).
2. N. Abbasizadeh and J. A. Spencer, “Two-Photon Phosphorescence Lifetime Microscopy,” Adv Exp Med Biol. 3233, 63-82 (2021).
1. Y. Jung*, J. A. Spencer*, A. P. Raphael, J. W. Wu, C. Alt, J. R. Runnels, B. Geiger, and C. P. Lin, “Intravital Imaging of Mouse Bone Marrow: Hemodynamics and Vascular Permeability,” Methods Mol. Biol. 1763, 11-22 (2018).
* J. A. Spencer and Y. Jung contributed equally
Publications can be found online at: