Selected publications and presentations
Publications about modeling and analysis of renewable energy:
- Farzan ZareAfifi, Zabir Mahmud, Sarah Kurtz, “Diurnal, physics-based strategy for computationally efficient capacity-expansion optimizations for solar-dominated grids" Energy, Vol. 279, September 2023, 128206.
- Zabir Mahmud, Kenji Shiraishi, Mahmoud Y. Abido, Pedro Andres Sanchez-Perez, and Sarah R Kurtz, “Hierarchical approach to evaluating storage requirements for renewable-energy-driven grids" iScience, Vol. 26(1), 105900, Jan. 2023.
- Farzan ZareAfifi and Sarah Kurtz, “Analytical analysis of stationary Li-ion-battery storage-system efficiency on a large scale" IEEE Vehicle Power and Propulsion Conference (VPPC), 2022.
- Zabir Mahmud and Sarah Kurtz, “Impact of EV Charging Schedule on Storage Requirements for a Renewable-driven Grid in California" IEEE Vehicle Power and Propulsion Conference (VPPC), 2022.
- Jeremiah Reagan and Sarah Kurtz, “Suitability of On Site SOlar Generation, Including Vertical Bifacial Panels, for a Charging Station Analogous to a Present Day Convenience Store" IEEE Vehicle Power and Propulsion Conference (VPPC), 2022.
- Jeremiah Reagan and Sarah Kurtz, “Energetic Comparison of Vertical Bifacial to Tilted Monofacial Solar" IEEE Journal of Photovoltaics, 2022.
- Nicholas P. Irvin, D. Martinez Escobar, Aaron Wheeler, Richard R. King, Christiana B. Honsberg, and Sarah R. Kurtz, “Thermal Impact of Rear Insulation, Light Trapping, and Parasitic Absorption in Solar Modules" IEEE Journal of Photovoltaics, 2022. doi: 10.1109/JPHOTOV.2022.3173785
- P.A. Sanchez-Perez, Martin Staadecker, Julia Szinai, Sarah Kurtz, Patricia Hidalgo-Gonzalez, “Effect of modeled time horizon on quantifying the need for long-duration storage" Applied Energy, vol. 317, 119022, 2022.
- Russell K. Jones and Sarah Kurtz, “Optimizing the Configuration of Photovoltaic Plants to Minimize the Need for Storage" IEEE Journal of Photovoltaics, 2022.
- Z. Mahmud, K. Shiraishi, M. Abido, D. Millstein, P. Sanchez, and S. Kurtz, “Geographical variability of summer- and winter-dominant onshore wind" Journal of Renewable and Sustainable Energy, Volume 14, 023303, 2022.
- R. Shan, J. Reagan, S. Castellanos, S. Kurtz and N. Kittner, “Evaluating emerging long-duration energy storage technologies" Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Volume 159, 2022.
- M. Abido, Z. Mahmud, P. Sanchez, and S. Kurtz, “Seasonal Challenges for a California renewable-energy-driven grid" iScience, 2021.
- M. N. Kittner, S. Castellanos, P. Hidalgo-Gonzalez, D. Kammen, and S. Kurtz, “Cross-sector Storage and Modeling Needed for Deep Decarbonization" Joule, 2021.
- M. Abido, K. Shiraishi, P. Sanchez, R. Jones, Z. Mahmud, S. Castellanos, N. Kittner, D. Kammen, and S. Kurtz, “Seasonal Challenges for a Zero-Carbon Grid in California" 48th Photovoltaic Specialists Conference, 2021.
- A. Leilaeioun, R. Jones, R. Sinton, and S. Kurtz, “Demand Shifting as a Profitable Strategy for Solar Plant Operators" 48th Photovoltaic Specialists Conference, 2021.
- S. Kurtz, N. Kittner, S. Castellanos, P. Hidalgo-Gonzalez, and D. Kammen, “For Cleaner, Greener Power, Expand the Definition of "Batteries"" Issues in Science and Technology, 2021.
- S. Kurtz, “Accelerating Growth of Solar Energy" The Bridge, p. 98, 2020.
- P.A. Sanchez-Perez and S. Kurtz, “California's Vision for Reaching Zero-Carbon Emissions" Proc. of the 47th IEEE PVSC, 2020.
- R. Bailey, P.A. Sanchez-Perez, Z. Mahmud, and S. Kurtz, “Methodology for Quantifying Value of Storage Toward Reaching 100% Renewable Electricity" Proc. of the 47th IEEE PVSC, 2020.
- P.A. Sanchez-Perez and S. Kurtz, “Capacity Factor Analysis of US PV System Reliability and Performance" IEEE Journal of PV, 2020.
- Z. DeFreitas, A. Ramirez, B. Huang, S. Kurtz, M. Muller, M. Deceglie, “Evaluating the Accuracy of Various Irradiance Models in Detecting Soiling of Irradiance Sensors" Proc. of the 46th IEEE PVSC, 2019.
- A. Wheeler, M. Leveille, I. Anton, M. Limpinsel, S. Kurtz, “Outdoor Performance of PV Technologies in Simulated Automotive Environments" Proc. of the 46th IEEE PVSC, 2019.
- A. Wheeler, M. Leveille, I. Anton, A. Leilaeioun, S. Kurtz, “Determining the Operating Temperature of Solar Panels on Vehicles" Proc. of the 46th IEEE PVSC, 2019.
- C. Vad, A. Aguilar, A. Srinivasa, S. Kurtz, C. Honsberg, R. King, “Effects of Increasing PV deployment on US Regional Transmission organizations" Proc. of the 46th IEEE PVSC, 2019.
Publications and videos related to growth of solar and research opportunities:
- Nancy Haegel, et al, “Photovoltaics at multi-terawatt scale: Waiting is not an option" Science, April 2023, Vol. 380, Issue 6640, pp 39-42. DOI: 10.1126/science.adf6957.
On line Downloadable
- Sarah R. Kurtz and Nancy Haegel, “A New Era for Solar and Storage: Partnering for Continued Success" Chemical Engineering Progress, June 2022.
- Nancy Haegel and Sarah R. Kurtz, “Global Progress Toward Renewable Electricity: Tracking the Role of Solar" IEEE Journal of Photovoltaics, 2021.
- S.R. Kurtz, A.M. Leilaeioun, R.R. King, I.M. Peters, M.J. Heben, W.K. Metzger, and N.M. Haegel, “Revisiting the Terawatt Challenge" MRS Bulletin, pp 159-164, March 2020.
- N. M. Haegel, H. Atwater, T. Barnes,
C. Breyer, A. Burrell, Y. Chiang,
S. De Wolf, B. Dimmler, D. Feldman,
S. Glunz, J. Goldschmidt, C. Hochschild, R. Inzunza
I. Kaizuka, B. Kroposki, S.Kurtz, et al.
“Terawatt-scale photovoltaics: Transform global energy”
Science, 364(6443), pp. 836-838, 2019. doi:10.1126/science.aaw1845
- S. Kurtz,
“Solar Surfaces: A bad idea or tomorrow's mainstream application?" MRS Energy & Sustainability, 6, E8, 2019.
- S. Kurtz, I. Repins, W. Metzger, P. Verlinden, S. Huang, S. Bowden, I. Tappan, K. Emery, L. Kazmerski, and D. Levi,
“Historical Analysis of Champion Photovoltaic Module Efficiencies” IEEE Journal of PV, 8, February 2018.
- N. M. Haegel, R. Margolis, T. Buonassisi,
D. Feldman, A. Froitzhei, R. Garabedian,
M. Green, S. Glunz, H. Henning,
B. Holder, I. Kaizuka, B. Kroposki,
K. Matsubara, S. Niki, K. Sakurai,
Roland A. Schindler, W. Tumas, E. R. Weber,
G. Wilson, M. Woodhouse, and S. Kurtz,
“Terawatt-scale photovoltaics: Trajectories and challenges”
Science, 356(6334), pp. 141-3, 2017. https://www.nrel.gov/pv/national-center-for-photovoltaics.html
- S. Kurtz, N. Haegel, R. Sinton, and R. Margolis,
“A new era for solar” Nature Photonics, 11, January 2017.
- S. Kurtz, H. Atwater, A. Rockett, T. Buonassis, C. Honsberg, and J. Benner
“Solar research not finished” Nature Photonics, 2016
- “A New Era for Solar,” JUC Green Task Force,
New Energy Colorado and the Colorado Renewable Energy Society,
Monthly Energy Speaker Series, Golden, CO, Aug. 24, 2017. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKzHSY6U2j4.
- “A New Era for Solar Brings New Research Topics,”
Industry/University Cooperative Research Center for Next Generation PV, Distinguished Lecture Series, Public Webinar,
June 13, 2017. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fp4iJAWl7m8.
Publications related to photovoltaic reliability
- S. Kurtz, K. Whitfield, N. Phillips, T. Sample, C. Monokroussos, E. Hsi, I. Repins, P. Hacke, D. Jordan, J. Wohlgemuth, P. Seidel, U. Jahn, M. Kempe, T. Tanahashi, Y. Chen, B. Jaeckel, and M. Yamamichi, “Qualification Testing Versus Quantitative Reliability Testing of PV – Gaining Confidence in a Rapidly Changing Technology” European PV Solar Energy Conference and Exhibition, 2017.
- S. Kurtz, G. Ramu, R. Cornell, S. Lokanath, E. Hsi, T. Sample, M. Yamamichi, G. Kelly, T. Spooner, J. Previtali, and J. Wohlgemuth, “Marrying Quality Assurance with Design Engineering – A Winning Partnership! But, a Cultural Divide?” 44th IEEE Photovoltaic Specialists Conference, 2017.
- N. Bosco, J. Eafanti, and S. Kurtz, “Defining Threshold Values of Encapsulant and Backsheet Adhesion for PV Module Reliability” IEEE Journal of Photovoltaics, 7(6), pp. 1536-1540, 2017. DOI: 10.1109/JPHOTOV.2017.2746682.
- N. Bosco, T.J. Silverman, and S. Kurtz, “Climate Specific Thermomechanical Fatigue of Photovoltaic Module Solder Bonds” Microelectronics Reliability, 62, pp. 124-129, July 2016.
- N. Bosco, T.J. Silverman, and S. Kurtz, “The influence of PV module materials and design on solder bond thermal fatigue durability” Journal of Photovoltaics, 2016. DOI: 10.1109/JPHOTOV.2016.2598255.
- Y. Chen, K. VanSant, Y.S. Khoo, Z. Wang, W. Luo, C. Deline, P. Hacke, J. Chai, L. Yin, Y. Wang, A. G. Aberle, Y. Yang, P. Alternatt, Z. Feng, S. Kurtz, and P.J. Verlinden, “Investigation of correlation between field performance and indoor acceleration measurements of potential induced degradation (PID) for C-Si PV modules” European PV Solar Energy Conference and Exhibition, 2017.
- P. Hacke, S. Lokanath, P. Williams, A. Vasan, P. Sochor, G. TamizMani, H. Shinohara, and S. Kurtz, “A Status Review of Photovoltaic Power Conversion Equipment Reliability, Safety, and Quality Assurance Protocols” Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Vol. 82(1), pp. 1097-1112, 2018. DOI:10.1016/j.rser.2017.07.043.
- D.C. Jordan, T.J. Silverman, J.H. Wohlgemuth, S.R. Kurtz, and K.T. VanSant, “Photovoltaic Failure and Degradation Modes” Progress in PV, 2017. DOI:10.1002/pip.2866.
- D.C. Jordan, S.R. Kurtz, K.T. VanSant, and J. Newmiller, “Compendium of Photovoltaic Degradation Rates” Progress in Photovoltaics, 2016. DOI: 10.1002/pip.2744.
- D.C. Jordan, T.J. Silverman, B. Sekulic and S.R. Kurtz, “PV Degradation Curves: Non-Linearities and Failure Modes” Progress in Photovoltaics: Research and Applications, 2016. DOI: 10.1002/pip.2835.
- D.C. Jordan and S.R. Kurtz, “Photovoltaic Degradation Rates – An Analytical Review” Progress in Photovoltaics: Research and Applications, 2011. DOI: 10.1002/pip.1182.
- S. Kurtz, K. Whitfield, G. TamizhMani, M. Koehl, D. Miller, J. Joyce, J. Wohlgemuth, N. Bosco, M. Kempe, and T. Zgonena, “Evaluation of High-Temperature Exposure of Photovoltaic Modules” Progress in Photovoltaics: Research and Applications, 2011. DOI: 10.1002/pip.1103.
Older publications related to III-V studies
- J. Geisz, M. Steiner, I. Garcia, R. France, D. Friedman, and S. Kurtz “Implications of redesigned, high-radiative-efficiency GaInP junctions on III-V multijunction concentrator solar cells” IEEE J. of Photovoltaics, 2014.
- S.R. Kurtz, M. Muller, D. Jordan, K. Ghosal, B. Fisher, P. Verlinden, J. Hashimoto, and D. Riley. “Key Parameters in Determining Energy Generated by CPV Modules,” Progress in Photovoltaics: Research and Applications, 2014. DOI: 10.1002/pip.2544.
- M.A. Steiner, J.F. Geisz, I. Garcia, D.J. Friedman, A. Duda, and S.R. Kurtz, "Optical enhancement of Voc in high quality GaAs solar cells" J. Appl. Phys., 113, pp. 123109-1 - 123109-11, 2013.
- Miller, D. Owen, E. Yablonovitch, and S.R. Kurtz. "Strong internal and external luminescence as solar cells approach the Shockley–Queisser limit" IEEE Journal of Photovoltaics 2.3, 303-311, 2012.
- S. Kurtz, D. Myers, W.E. McMahon, J. Geisz, and M. Steiner, "A comparison of theoretical efficiencies of multi-junction concentrator solar cells" Progress in Photovoltaics: Research and Applications 16, pp. 537-546, 2008.
- J.F. Geisz, S. Kurtz, M.W. Wanlass, J.S. Ward, A. Duda, D.J. Friedman, J.M. Olson, W.E McMahon, T. Moriarty, and J. Kiehl, "High-efficiency GaInP/GaAs/InGaAs triple-junction solar cells grown inverted with a metamorphic bottom junction" Appl. Phys. Lett. 91, 023502, 2007.
- W.E. McMahon, K. Emery, D.J. Friedman, L. Ottoson, M. Young, J.S. Ward, C. Kramer, A. Duda, and S. Kurtz, "Fill Factor as a Probe of Current-Matching for GaInP2/GaAs Tandem Cells in a Concentrator System during Outdoor Operation" Progress in Photovoltaics: Research and Applications, 2007.
- S.R. Kurtz, R. King, D. Law, A. Ptak, J. Geisz, and N. Karam, “Effects of in situ Annealing on GaInNAs Solar Cells” 39th IEEE PVSC, 2013.
- F. Dimroth and S. Kurtz, "High-efficiency multijunction solar cells" MRS Bulletin, 2007.
- S. Kurtz, S. Johnston, and H.M. Branz, "Capacitance-spectroscopy identification of a key defect in N-degraded GaInNAs solar cells" Appl. Phys. Lett. 86, p. 113506, 2005.
- S. Kurtz, J.F. Geisz, D.J. Friedman, W.K. Metzger, R.R. King, and N.H. Karam, "Annealing-induced-type conversion of GaInNAs" J. Appl. Phys. 95, pp. 2505-2508, 2004.
- A. Janotti, S.H. Wei, S.B. Zhang, S. Kurtz, and C.G. VandeWalle, "Interactions between nitrogen, hydrogen, and gallium vacancies in GaAs1-xNx alloys" Phys. Rev. B 6716, p. 1201, 2003.
- S.R. Kurtz, J. Webb, L. Gedvilas, D.J. Friedman, J.F. Geisz, J.M. Olson, R. King, D. Joslin, and N. Karam, "Structural changes during annealing of GaInAsN" Appl. Phys. Lett. 78, pp. 748-750, 2001.
- S.R. Kurtz, D. Myers, T. Townsend, C. Whitaker, A. Maish, R. Hulstrom, and K. Emery, "Outdoor rating conditions for photovoltaic modules and systems" Solar Energy Materials and Solar Cells 62, pp. 379-391, 2000.
- S.R. Kurtz, J.M. Olson, D.J. Friedman, A.E. Kibbler, and S. Asher, "Ordering and Disordering of Doped Ga0.5In0.5P" J Electronic Materials, 23, pp. 431-435, 1994.
- S.R. Kurtz, J.M. Olson, D.J. Arent, M.H. Bode, and K.A. Bertness, "Low-Band-Gap Ga0.5In0.5P Grown on (511)B GaAs Substrates" J. Appl. Phys. 75, pp. 5110-5113, 1994.
- S.R. Kurtz, "Anomalous Electroreflectance Spectrum of Spontaneously Ordered Ga0.5In0.5P" J. Appl. Phys. 74, pp. 4130-4135, 1993.
- S.R. Kurtz, J.M. Olson, and P. Faine, "The difference between standard and average efficiencies of multijunction compared with single-junction concentrator cells" Solar Cells 30, p. 501, 1991.
- J.M. Olson, S.R. Kurtz, A.E. Kibbler, and P. Faine, "A 27.3% efficient Ga0.5In0.5P/GaAs tandem solar cell" Appl. Phys. Lett. 56, pp. 623-625, 1990.
- S.R. Kurtz, J.M. Olson, and A. Kibbler, "Effect of growth rate on the band gap of Ga0.5In0.5P" Appl. Phys. Lett. 57, pp. 1922-1924, 1990.
- S.R. Kurtz, J.M. Olson, J.P. Goral, A. Kibbler, and E. Beck, "The effect of selenium doping on the optical and structural properties of Ga0.5In0.5P" Journal of Electronic Materials 19, pp. 825-828, 1990.
- S.R. Kurtz, P. Faine, and J.M. Olson, "Modeling of two-junction, series-connected tandem solar cells using top-cell thickness as an adjustable parameter" J. Appl. Phys. 68, p. 1890, 1990.
- S.R. Kurtz, D. Myers, and J.M. Olson, “Projected Performance of Three- and Four-Junction Devices Using GaAs and GaInP” 26th IEEE PVSC, 1997.