Selected publications and presentations
Publications about modeling and analysis of renewable energy and publications:
- M. N. Kittner, S. Castellanos, P. Hidalgo-Gonzalez, D. Kammen, and S. Kurtz, “Cross-sector Storage and Modeling Needed for Deep Decarbonization" Joule, 2021.
- M. Abido, K. Shiraishi, P. Sanchez, R. Jones, Z. Mahmud, S. Castellanos, N. Kittner, D. Kammen, and S. Kurtz, “Seasonal Challenges for a Zero-Carbon Grid in California" 48th Photovoltaic Specialists Conference, 2021.
- A. Leilaeioun, R. Jones, R. Sinton, and S. Kurtz, “Demand Shifting as a Profitable Strategy for Solar Plant Operators" 48th Photovoltaic Specialists Conference, 2021.
- S. Kurtz, N. Kittner, S. Castellanos, P. Hidalgo-Gonzalez, and D. Kammen, “For Cleaner, Greener Power, Expand the Definition of "Batteries"" Issues in Science and Technology, 2021.
- S. Kurtz, “Accelerating Growth of Solar Energy" The Bridge, p. 98, 2020.
- P.A. Sanchez-Perez and S. Kurtz, “California's Vision for Reaching Zero-Carbon Emissions" Proc. of the 47th IEEE PVSC, 2020.
- R. Bailey, P.A. Sanchez-Perez, Z. Mahmud, and S. Kurtz, “Methodology for Quantifying Value of Storage Toward Reaching 100% Renewable Electricity" Proc. of the 47th IEEE PVSC, 2020.
- P.A. Sanchez-Perez and S. Kurtz, “Capacity Factor Analysis of US PV System Reliability and Performance" IEEE Journal of PV, 2020.
- Z. DeFreitas, A. Ramirez, B. Huang, S. Kurtz, M. Muller, M. Deceglie, “Evaluating the Accuracy of Various Irradiance Models in Detecting Soiling of Irradiance Sensors" Proc. of the 46th IEEE PVSC, 2019.
- A. Wheeler, M. Leveille, I. Anton, M. Limpinsel, S. Kurtz, “Outdoor Performance of PV Technologies in Simulated Automotive Environments" Proc. of the 46th IEEE PVSC, 2019.
- A. Wheeler, M. Leveille, I. Anton, A. Leilaeioun, S. Kurtz, “Determining the Operating Temperature of Solar Panels on Vehicles" Proc. of the 46th IEEE PVSC, 2019.
- C. Vad, A. Aguilar, A. Srinivasa, S. Kurtz, C. Honsberg, R. King, “Effects of Increasing PV deployment on US Regional Transmission organizations" Proc. of the 46th IEEE PVSC, 2019.
Publications and videos related to growth of solar and research opportunities:
- Nancy Haegel and Sarah R. Kurtz, “Global Progress Toward Renewable Electricity: Tracking the Role of Solar" IEEE Journal of PV, 2021.
- S.R. Kurtz, A.M. Leilaeioun, R.R. King, I.M. Peters, M.J. Heben, W.K. Metzger, and N.M. Haegel, “Revisiting the Terawatt Challenge" MRS Bulletin, pp 159-164, March 2020.
- N. M. Haegel, H. Atwater, T. Barnes,
C. Breyer, A. Burrell, Y. Chiang,
S. De Wolf, B. Dimmler, D. Feldman,
S. Glunz, J. Goldschmidt, C. Hochschild, R. Inzunza
I. Kaizuka, B. Kroposki, S.Kurtz, et al.
“Terawatt-scale photovoltaics: Transform global energy”
Science, 364(6443), pp. 836-838, 2019. doi:10.1126/science.aaw1845
- S. Kurtz,
“Solar Surfaces: A bad idea or tomorrow's mainstream application?" MRS Energy & Sustainability, 6, E8, 2019.
- S. Kurtz, I. Repins, W. Metzger, P. Verlinden, S. Huang, S. Bowden, I. Tappan, K. Emery, L. Kazmerski, and D. Levi,
“Historical Analysis of Champion Photovoltaic Module Efficiencies” IEEE Journal of PV, 8, February 2018.
- N. M. Haegel, R. Margolis, T. Buonassisi,
D. Feldman, A. Froitzhei, R. Garabedian,
M. Green, S. Glunz, H. Henning,
B. Holder, I. Kaizuka, B. Kroposki,
K. Matsubara, S. Niki, K. Sakurai,
Roland A. Schindler, W. Tumas, E. R. Weber,
G. Wilson, M. Woodhouse, and S. Kurtz,
“Terawatt-scale photovoltaics: Trajectories and challenges”
Science, 356(6334), pp. 141-3, 2017. https://www.nrel.gov/pv/national-center-for-photovoltaics.html
- S. Kurtz, N. Haegel, R. Sinton, and R. Margolis,
“A new era for solar” Nature Photonics, 11, January 2017.
- S. Kurtz, H. Atwater, A. Rockett, T. Buonassis, C. Honsberg, and J. Benner
“Solar research not finished” Nature Photonics, 2016
- “A New Era for Solar,” JUC Green Task Force,
New Energy Colorado and the Colorado Renewable Energy Society,
Monthly Energy Speaker Series, Golden, CO, Aug. 24, 2017. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKzHSY6U2j4.
- “A New Era for Solar Brings New Research Topics,”
Industry/University Cooperative Research Center for Next Generation PV, Distinguished Lecture Series, Public Webinar,
June 13, 2017. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fp4iJAWl7m8.
Publications related to photovoltaic reliability
- S. Kurtz, K. Whitfield, N. Phillips, T. Sample, C. Monokroussos, E. Hsi, I. Repins, P. Hacke, D. Jordan, J. Wohlgemuth, P. Seidel, U. Jahn, M. Kempe, T. Tanahashi, Y. Chen, B. Jaeckel, and M. Yamamichi, “Qualification Testing Versus Quantitative Reliability Testing of PV – Gaining Confidence in a Rapidly Changing Technology” European PV Solar Energy Conference and Exhibition, 2017.
- S. Kurtz, G. Ramu, R. Cornell, S. Lokanath, E. Hsi, T. Sample, M. Yamamichi, G. Kelly, T. Spooner, J. Previtali, and J. Wohlgemuth, “Marrying Quality Assurance with Design Engineering – A Winning Partnership! But, a Cultural Divide?” 44th IEEE Photovoltaic Specialists Conference, 2017.
- N. Bosco, J. Eafanti, and S. Kurtz, “Defining Threshold Values of Encapsulant and Backsheet Adhesion for PV Module Reliability” IEEE Journal of Photovoltaics, 7(6), pp. 1536-1540, 2017. DOI: 10.1109/JPHOTOV.2017.2746682.
- N. Bosco, T.J. Silverman, and S. Kurtz, “Climate Specific Thermomechanical Fatigue of Photovoltaic Module Solder Bonds” Microelectronics Reliability, 62, pp. 124-129, July 2016.
- N. Bosco, T.J. Silverman, and S. Kurtz, “The influence of PV module materials and design on solder bond thermal fatigue durability” Journal of Photovoltaics, 2016. DOI: 10.1109/JPHOTOV.2016.2598255.
- Y. Chen, K. VanSant, Y.S. Khoo, Z. Wang, W. Luo, C. Deline, P. Hacke, J. Chai, L. Yin, Y. Wang, A. G. Aberle, Y. Yang, P. Alternatt, Z. Feng, S. Kurtz, and P.J. Verlinden, “Investigation of correlation between field performance and indoor acceleration measurements of potential induced degradation (PID) for C-Si PV modules” European PV Solar Energy Conference and Exhibition, 2017.
- P. Hacke, S. Lokanath, P. Williams, A. Vasan, P. Sochor, G. TamizMani, H. Shinohara, and S. Kurtz, “A Status Review of Photovoltaic Power Conversion Equipment Reliability, Safety, and Quality Assurance Protocols” Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Vol. 82(1), pp. 1097-1112, 2018. DOI:10.1016/j.rser.2017.07.043.
- D.C. Jordan, T.J. Silverman, J.H. Wohlgemuth, S.R. Kurtz, and K.T. VanSant, “Photovoltaic Failure and Degradation Modes” Progress in PV, 2017. DOI:10.1002/pip.2866.
- D.C. Jordan, S.R. Kurtz, K.T. VanSant, and J. Newmiller, “Compendium of Photovoltaic Degradation Rates” Progress in Photovoltaics, 2016. DOI: 10.1002/pip.2744.
- D.C. Jordan, T.J. Silverman, B. Sekulic and S.R. Kurtz, “PV Degradation Curves: Non-Linearities and Failure Modes” Progress in Photovoltaics: Research and Applications, 2016. DOI: 10.1002/pip.2835.
- D.C. Jordan and S.R. Kurtz, “Photovoltaic Degradation Rates – An Analytical Review” Progress in Photovoltaics: Research and Applications, 2011. DOI: 10.1002/pip.1182.
- S. Kurtz, K. Whitfield, G. TamizhMani, M. Koehl, D. Miller, J. Joyce, J. Wohlgemuth, N. Bosco, M. Kempe, and T. Zgonena, “Evaluation of High-Temperature Exposure of Photovoltaic Modules” Progress in Photovoltaics: Research and Applications, 2011. DOI: 10.1002/pip.1103.
Older publications related to III-V studies
- J. Geisz, M. Steiner, I. Garcia, R. France, D. Friedman, and S. Kurtz “Implications of redesigned, high-radiative-efficiency GaInP junctions on III-V multijunction concentrator solar cells” IEEE J. of Photovoltaics, 2014.
- S.R. Kurtz, M. Muller, D. Jordan, K. Ghosal, B. Fisher, P. Verlinden, J. Hashimoto, and D. Riley. “Key Parameters in Determining Energy Generated by CPV Modules,” Progress in Photovoltaics: Research and Applications, 2014. DOI: 10.1002/pip.2544.
- M.A. Steiner, J.F. Geisz, I. Garcia, D.J. Friedman, A. Duda, and S.R. Kurtz, "Optical enhancement of Voc in high quality GaAs solar cells" J. Appl. Phys., 113, pp. 123109-1 - 123109-11, 2013.
- Miller, D. Owen, E. Yablonovitch, and S.R. Kurtz. "Strong internal and external luminescence as solar cells approach the Shockley–Queisser limit" IEEE Journal of Photovoltaics 2.3, 303-311, 2012.
- S. Kurtz, D. Myers, W.E. McMahon, J. Geisz, and M. Steiner, "A comparison of theoretical efficiencies of multi-junction concentrator solar cells" Progress in Photovoltaics: Research and Applications 16, pp. 537-546, 2008.
- J.F. Geisz, S. Kurtz, M.W. Wanlass, J.S. Ward, A. Duda, D.J. Friedman, J.M. Olson, W.E McMahon, T. Moriarty, and J. Kiehl, "High-efficiency GaInP/GaAs/InGaAs triple-junction solar cells grown inverted with a metamorphic bottom junction" Appl. Phys. Lett. 91, 023502, 2007.
- W.E. McMahon, K. Emery, D.J. Friedman, L. Ottoson, M. Young, J.S. Ward, C. Kramer, A. Duda, and S. Kurtz, "Fill Factor as a Probe of Current-Matching for GaInP2/GaAs Tandem Cells in a Concentrator System during Outdoor Operation" Progress in Photovoltaics: Research and Applications, 2007.
- S.R. Kurtz, R. King, D. Law, A. Ptak, J. Geisz, and N. Karam, “Effects of in situ Annealing on GaInNAs Solar Cells” 39th IEEE PVSC, 2013.
- F. Dimroth and S. Kurtz, "High-efficiency multijunction solar cells" MRS Bulletin, 2007.
- S. Kurtz, S. Johnston, and H.M. Branz, "Capacitance-spectroscopy identification of a key defect in N-degraded GaInNAs solar cells" Appl. Phys. Lett. 86, p. 113506, 2005.
- S. Kurtz, J.F. Geisz, D.J. Friedman, W.K. Metzger, R.R. King, and N.H. Karam, "Annealing-induced-type conversion of GaInNAs" J. Appl. Phys. 95, pp. 2505-2508, 2004.
- A. Janotti, S.H. Wei, S.B. Zhang, S. Kurtz, and C.G. VandeWalle, "Interactions between nitrogen, hydrogen, and gallium vacancies in GaAs1-xNx alloys" Phys. Rev. B 6716, p. 1201, 2003.
- S.R. Kurtz, J. Webb, L. Gedvilas, D.J. Friedman, J.F. Geisz, J.M. Olson, R. King, D. Joslin, and N. Karam, "Structural changes during annealing of GaInAsN" Appl. Phys. Lett. 78, pp. 748-750, 2001.
- S.R. Kurtz, D. Myers, T. Townsend, C. Whitaker, A. Maish, R. Hulstrom, and K. Emery, "Outdoor rating conditions for photovoltaic modules and systems" Solar Energy Materials and Solar Cells 62, pp. 379-391, 2000.
- S.R. Kurtz, J.M. Olson, D.J. Friedman, A.E. Kibbler, and S. Asher, "Ordering and Disordering of Doped Ga0.5In0.5P" J Electronic Materials, 23, pp. 431-435, 1994.
- S.R. Kurtz, J.M. Olson, D.J. Arent, M.H. Bode, and K.A. Bertness, "Low-Band-Gap Ga0.5In0.5P Grown on (511)B GaAs Substrates" J. Appl. Phys. 75, pp. 5110-5113, 1994.
- S.R. Kurtz, "Anomalous Electroreflectance Spectrum of Spontaneously Ordered Ga0.5In0.5P" J. Appl. Phys. 74, pp. 4130-4135, 1993.
- S.R. Kurtz, J.M. Olson, and P. Faine, "The difference between standard and average efficiencies of multijunction compared with single-junction concentrator cells" Solar Cells 30, p. 501, 1991.
- J.M. Olson, S.R. Kurtz, A.E. Kibbler, and P. Faine, "A 27.3% efficient Ga0.5In0.5P/GaAs tandem solar cell" Appl. Phys. Lett. 56, pp. 623-625, 1990.
- S.R. Kurtz, J.M. Olson, and A. Kibbler, "Effect of growth rate on the band gap of Ga0.5In0.5P" Appl. Phys. Lett. 57, pp. 1922-1924, 1990.
- S.R. Kurtz, J.M. Olson, J.P. Goral, A. Kibbler, and E. Beck, "The effect of selenium doping on the optical and structural properties of Ga0.5In0.5P" Journal of Electronic Materials 19, pp. 825-828, 1990.
- S.R. Kurtz, P. Faine, and J.M. Olson, "Modeling of two-junction, series-connected tandem solar cells using top-cell thickness as an adjustable parameter" J. Appl. Phys. 68, p. 1890, 1990.
- S.R. Kurtz, D. Myers, and J.M. Olson, “Projected Performance of Three- and Four-Junction Devices Using GaAs and GaInP” 26th IEEE PVSC, 1997.