Nonlinear nonconvex optimization, mathematical signal processing and compressive sampling, numerical linear algebra, and computational biochemistry. My research is currently supported by NSF Grant CMMI 1333326.
- October: 2015 SIAM Conference on Applied Linear Algebra
"Numerical linear algebra in large-scale optimization"
- September: Recently posted on SIMAX: "On Efficiently Computing the Eigenvalues of Limited-Memory Quasi-Newton Matrices",
co-authored with Jennifer Erway.
- September: SIAM Minisymposium on Optimization Co-organizer at the 2016 Joint Mathematics Meetings in Seattle, WA.
- July: 2015 ISMP "Large-Scale Nonlinear Optimization" mini-symposium organizer.
Also, speaker at "Algorithms for Large-Scale Nonlinear Optimization".
- May 22: Congratulations to graduate student Lasith Adhikari, whose paper entitled,
"p-th power total variation regularization in photon-limited imaging via iterative reweighting," was accepted to EUSIPCO 2015.
- April 29: Congratulations to Lasith Adhikari, whose paper entitled,
"Nonconvex Reconstruction for Low-Dimensional Fluorescence Molecular Tomographic Poisson Observations," (co-authored with Dr. Dianwen Zhu and Prof. Changqing Li) was accepted to the 2015 IEEE International Conference on Image Processing.
- April 22: Poster presentation at the IEEE International Conference on Acoustics, Speech and Signal Processing in Brisbane, Australia.
- April 15: Congratulations to graduate student Johannes Brust for being accepted to the San Diego Supercomputer Center UC Graduate Student Summer Fellowship program.
- April 8: Congratulations to Lasith Adhikari for receiving the
UC Merced Graduate Student Opportunity Program Fellowship.
- April 4: Invited panelist at the Opportunities in Mathematical Sciences: A Workshop for Emerging Scholars at UC Irvine.
- March 24: Congratulations to Lasith Adhikari for passing his Qualifying Exams and advancing to Ph.D. candidacy.
- February 6: Invited seminar at the CSU Channel Islands LSAMP Program.
- January 14: Congratulations to Lasith Adhikari, whose paper entitled,
"Nonconvex relaxation for Poisson intensity reconstruction," was accepted to the 2015 IEEE International Conference on Acoustics, Speech and Signal Processing.
- November 8: Invited panelist on "How to Prepare for Your First Academic Position" at the Field of Dreams Conference in Phoenix, AZ.
- October 1: EXTREEMS-QED: Data-Enabled Science and Computational Analysis Research, Training and Education for Students (DESCARTES) Program applications open (see here).
- August 15: Invited talk at the Workshop on Multiscale Modeling and Computation of Nano-Optics, Michigan State University
- August 8: Campus-wide Undergraduate Research Symposium and end of the ARCHIMEDES Summer REU Program.
- July 24: Invited lecture at the Pacific Math Alliance PUMP: Preparing Undergraduates through Mentoring at Cal Poly Pomona University.
- July 8: SIAM Annual Meeting Mini-symposium MS74: Expeditions in Training, Research, and Education for Mathematics and Statistics through Quantitative Explorations of Data. Organizer: Roummel F. Marcia
- June 9: Start of the ARCHIMEDES Summer REU Program.
- May 9: Congratulations to Math 24 Teaching Assistant, Jane Hyo Jin Lee, for receiving the 2013-14 School of Natural Sciences Outstanding Teaching Assistant Award.