Almeida’s research centers on the efficacy of collective mobilization. He has documented dozens of large-scale campaigns whereby citizens mobilized to protect themselves from the loss of vital necessities of health care, pensions, water/sewer services, utilities, environmental health, and citizenship rights. These studies are driven by a larger concern for understanding the conditions under which societies and communities successfully maintain access to basic public goods and services. These public goods became available through the expansion of social welfare in the twentieth century and are increasingly under threat in the twenty-first century with the contraction of state commitments to social citizenship.
His articles have appeared in the American Journal of Sociology, Social Forces, Social Problems, Mobilization, and other scholarly outlets. Almeida's books include: Mobilizing Democracy: Globalization and Citizen Protest (Johns Hopkins University Press, 2014); Waves of Protest: Popular Struggle in El Salvador, 1925-2005 (University of Minnesota Press, 2008); and Latin American Social Movements: Globalization, Democratization and Transnational Networks (co-edited with Hank Johnston, 2006). His research has been funded by the World Society Foundation, UC MEXUS-CONACYT, UC Pacific Rim, and the Fulbright Faculty Fellowship Program. He teaches courses on globalization, organizational behavior, sociological theory, environmental sociology, and social movements.
Honors And Awards
|2015-2017||Fulbright Scholar Award, Universidad Nacional Autónoma de Honduras|
|2015||Pacific Sociological Association, Distinguished Scholarship Award, for Book: Almeida, Paul. 2014. Mobilizing Democracy: Globalization and Citizen Protest. Baltimore: Johns Hopkins University Press.|
|2014||American Sociological Association, Best Article Award, Section on the Political Economy of the World-System (PEWS), for: Almeida, Paul D. 2012. “Subnational Opposition to Globalization.” Social Forces 90(4): 1051-1072.|
|2009||American Sociological Association, Distinguished Contribution to Scholarship Article Award, Section on Labor and Labor Movements, for: Almeida, Paul D. 2008. “The Sequencing of Success: Organizing Templates and Neoliberal Policy Outcomes.” Mobilization 13(2): 165-187.|
|2008-2009||Fulbright Scholar Award, Universidad de Costa Rica|
|2008||Ray A. Rothrock '77 Fellowship, College of Liberal Arts, Texas A&M University|
|2004||American Sociological Association, Best Published Article Award, Section on Collective Behavior and Social Movements, for: Almeida, Paul D. 2003. “Opportunity Organizations and Threat Induced Contention: Protest Waves in Authoritarian Settings.” American Journal of Sociology 109(2): 345-400.|
- Hooks, Greg (lead editor); Paul Almeida, David Brown, Sam Cohn, Sara Curran, Rebecca Emigh, Ho-fung Hung, Andrew K. Jorgenson , Richard Lachmann, Linda Lobao, and Valentine Moghadam (associate editors). Forthcoming. The Sociology of Development Handbook. Berkeley: University of California Press.
- Almeida, Paul D. and Allen Cordero. Eds. 2015. Handbook of Social Movements across Latin America. New York: Springer.
- Almeida, Paul D. 2014. Mobilizing Democracy: Globalization and Citizen Protest. Baltimore: Johns Hopkins University Press.
- Almeida, Paul D. 2011. Olas de Movilización Popular: Movimientos Sociales en El Salvador, 1925-2010. San Salvador: UCA Editores (504 p.) - updated and Spanish language edition of Waves of Protest. (Reseña del libro #1) (Reseña del libro #2)
- Almeida, Paul D. 2008. Waves of Protest: Popular Struggle in El Salvador, 1925-2005. Minneapolis: University of Minnesota Press.
- Johnston, Hank and Paul D. Almeida. (eds). 2006. Latin American Social Movements: Globalization, Democratization, and Transnational Networks. Lanham, MD: Rowman & Littlefield.
- Almeida, Paul D. and Linda Brewster Stearns. 1998. “Political Opportunities and Local Grassroots Environmental Movements.” Social Problems 45(1): 37-60.
- Almeida, Paul D. 2003. “Opportunity Organizations and Threat Induced Contention: Protest Waves in Authoritarian Settings.” American Journal of Sociology 109(2): 345-400.
- Almeida, Paul D. and Mark I. Lichbach. 2003. “To the Internet, from the Internet: Comparative Media Coverage of Transnational Protest.” Mobilization 8(3): 249-272.
- Stearns, Linda Brewster and Paul D. Almeida. 2004. "The Formation of State Actor-Social Movement Coalitions and Favorable Policy Outcomes.” Social Problems 51(4): 478-504.
- Almeida, Paul D. 2007. “Defensive Mobilization: Popular Movements against Economic Adjustment Policies in Latin America.” Latin American Perspectives 34(3): 123-139.
- Almeida, Paul D. 2008. “The Sequencing of Success: Organizing Templates and Neoliberal Policy Outcomes.” Mobilization 13(2): 165-187.
- Almeida, Paul D. 2010. “Social Movement Partyism: Collective Action and Political Parties.” Pp. 170-196 in N. Van Dyke and H. McCammon, eds,. Strategic Alliances: New Studies of Social Movement Coalitions. Minneapolis: University of Minnesota Press.
- Almeida, Paul D. 2012. “Subnational Opposition to Globalization.” Social Forces 90(4): 1051-1072.
More Publications Click Here
- Almeida, Paul. 2014. "Mobilizing Democracy: from Dictatorship to Neoliberalism." Johns Hopkins University Press Website, August, 2014.
*U.S. copyright law prohibits reproduction of the articles on this site "for any purpose other than private study, scholarship, or research" (see Title 17, US Code for details). If you would like to copy or reprint these articles for other purposes, please contact the publisher to secure permission.