Almeida’s research centers on the efficacy of collective action. He has empirically examined the timing and distribution of dozens of large-scale campaigns whereby ordinary citizens and excluded social groups mobilized to protect themselves from the loss of vital necessities of health care, pensions, water/sewer services, utilities, environmental health, and social citizenship rights. These studies are driven by a larger concern for explaining the conditions under which societies and communities are most likely to maintain access to basic public goods and services.
His articles have appeared in the American Journal of Sociology, Annual Review of Sociology, Social Forces, Social Problems, Mobilization, and other scholarly outlets. Almeida's books include: Social Movements: The Structure of Collective Mobilization (University of California Press, 2019); Mobilizing Democracy: Globalization and Citizen Protest (Johns Hopkins University Press, 2014); Waves of Protest: Popular Struggle in El Salvador, 1925-2005 (University of Minnesota Press, 2008); Handbook of Social Movements across Latin America (co-edited with Allen Cordero, 2015); and Latin American Social Movements: Globalization, Democratization and Transnational Networks (co-edited with Hank Johnston, 2006). His research has been funded by the World Society Foundation, UC MEXUS-CONACYT, UC Pacific Rim, and the Fulbright Faculty Fellowship Program. He teaches courses on globalization, organizational behavior, political sociology, sociological theory, environmental sociology, and social movements.
Honors And Awards
|2018|| Author of the Month (November). UCA Editores (Central American University Press), San Salvador, El Salvador.
|2016||American Sociological Association, Best Book Award (Honorable Mention), Section on the Sociology of Development, for Book: Almeida, Paul. 2014. Mobilizing Democracy: Globalization and Citizen Protest. Baltimore: Johns Hopkins University Press.|
|2015-2017||Fulbright Scholar Award, Universidad Nacional Autónoma de Honduras|
|2015||Pacific Sociological Association, Distinguished Scholarship Award, for Book: Almeida, Paul. 2014. Mobilizing Democracy: Globalization and Citizen Protest. Baltimore: Johns Hopkins University Press.|
|2014||American Sociological Association, Best Article Award, Section on the Political Economy of the World-System (PEWS), for: Almeida, Paul D. 2012. “Subnational Opposition to Globalization.” Social Forces 90(4): 1051-1072.|
|2009||American Sociological Association, Distinguished Contribution to Scholarship Article Award, Section on Labor and Labor Movements, for: Almeida, Paul D. 2008. “The Sequencing of Success: Organizing Templates and Neoliberal Policy Outcomes.” Mobilization 13(2): 165-187.|
|2008-2009||Fulbright Scholar Award, Universidad de Costa Rica|
|2008||Ray A. Rothrock '77 Fellowship, College of Liberal Arts, Texas A&M University|
|2004||American Sociological Association, Best Published Article Award, Section on Collective Behavior and Social Movements, for: Almeida, Paul D. 2003. “Opportunity Organizations and Threat Induced Contention: Protest Waves in Authoritarian Settings.” American Journal of Sociology 109(2): 345-400.|
- Almeida, Paul D. 2019. Social Movements: The Structure of Collective Mobilization. Berkeley: University of California Press.
- Almeida, Paul D. 2019. “The Role of Threat in Collective Action.” Pp. 43-62 in D. Snow, S. Soule, H. Kriesi, and H. McCammon, eds., Wiley- Blackwell Companion to Social Movements. Oxford: Blackwell. 2nd Ed.
- Almeida, Paul D. and Christopher Chase-Dunn. 2018. “Globalization and Social Movements.” Annual Review of Sociology 44: 189-211.
- Mora, Maria de Jesus, Rodolfo Rodriguez, Alejandro Zermeño, and Paul Almeida. 2018. “Immigrant Rights and Social Movements.” Sociology Compass 12(8):1-20.
- Inclán, María and Paul Almeida. 2017. "Ritual Demonstrations versus Reactive Protests in Mexico City: Protest Participation across Mobilizing Contexts." Latin American Politics and Society 59(4): 47-74.
- Mora, Maria de Jesus, Alejandro Zermeño, Rodolfo Rodriguez, and Paul Almeida. 2017. “Exclusión y movimientos sociales en los Estados Unidos.” Pp. 641-669 en P. Almeida and A. Cordero. Eds., Movimientos Sociales en América Latina: Perspectivas, Tendencias y Casos. Buenos Aires: CLACSO.
- Almeida, Paul D. 2016. “Social Movements and Economic Development.” Pp. 528-550 in Greg Hooks, Paul Almeida, David Brown, Sam Cohn, Sara Curran, Rebecca Emigh, Ho-fung Hung, Andrew K. Jorgenson , Richard Lachmann, Linda Lobao, and Valentine Moghadam eds., The Sociology of Development Handbook. Berkeley: University of California Press.
- Almeida, Paul. 2019. "Encroaching Threats and Twenty-First Century Social Movements." University of California Press Website, February, 2019.
- Almeida, Paul. 2014. "Mobilizing Democracy: from Dictatorship to Neoliberalism." Johns Hopkins University Press Website, August, 2014.
*U.S. copyright law prohibits reproduction of the articles on this site "for any purpose other than private study, scholarship, or research" (see Title 17, US Code for details). If you would like to copy or reprint these articles for other purposes, please contact the publisher to secure permission.