[Version en español en preparación] Home
I am creating these pages as time permits. The goal is to include (at some point) images of all books of creative literature published by Chicanas/os. In the meantime, construction of the pages advances as follows:
1. Expansion proceeds both forward and backwards in time. For instance, after completing the year 1975, I completed 1948, then 1976, and so on, always alternating between past and present.
2. Unless identified as "under construction," listings for existing years should be complete, barring any mistakes and/or the occasional impossibility of finding covers for foreign or rare editions. If you have information and/or pictures that would complement existing listings, please send them along.
3. Author pages are only complete for books published in years already inventoried; later editions of books published in those years are also included. This explains why on a particular author's page you may find a 1997 edition of a book originally published in 1972 (for example) but not a book originally published in 1995, if the last year completed is 1976. As construction of these pages advances, problems like this will be minimized.
4. For the time being, only creative writing books are included. Folklore, literary criticism, history books, etc. are not included. Autobiographies and non-scholarly essays are.
5. In my own scholarly work (e.g. Life in Search of Readers: Reading (in) Chicano/a Literature, 1993) I have advocated for the multiple temporality of books that are published at different moments in time. I have followed that principle here, and so (in the "year" pages) books are listed every time a new edition was published, including foreign editions.
6. These pages include Chicano/a books published abroad, either originally or in later editions.
7. I have left out books when the ethnic origin of their authors was unclear. Pages may be updated when more details are available.
In the future, books will be organized by publishing press as well, to provide users with a visual guide to Chicana/o literature's print history.