Welcome to Prof. Linda Hirst's group home page
We are an experimental soft condensed matter physics group and our members have a wide variety of interests including membrane biophysics, protein network assembly and novel liquid crystal materials and composites.
Our group is a member of the physics graduate group at The University of California Merced in the School of Natural Sciences. We are always seeking good students and postdocs, please contact Prof. Hirst to see if a position is available.
Prof. Hirst is the founder and editor of SoftMatterWorld.org, an educational and professional web-site about soft matter science.
Founded in January 2008, this National Science Foundation funded site is a portal for the soft matter community.
- Find soft matter groups around the world,
- Look for jobs, postdocs and PhD positions,
- Read about the latest research,
- Learn about conferences in your field,
- and much more.....
Register to receive quarterly job and conference bulletins and a monthly newsletter!
- Congratulations to Tessa Pinon! Tessa just graduated with her PhD in Feb 2013 and will be following a career in the US Navy.
- New Book - Fundamentals of Soft Matter Science is a new undergraduate level book aimed at introducing a wide audience of students and scientists to the field of soft matter.
The book covers a broad range of topics including liquid crystals, surfactants, colloids, polymers and soft biomaterials with an emphasis on modern experimental techniques.
The book is available for purchase from Taylor and Francis (CRC press) and other book sellers.